The Knox School is an independent college preparatory school located on a beautiful waterfront campus on the North Shore of Long Island. Our mission is to foster academic, intellectual, and character development within a liberal arts program infused with artistic and athletic pursuits.
A Tradition of Family Since 1904
Founded in 1904 by Mary Alice Knox, The Knox School began as an all-girls’ school in Briarcliff Manor, New York. Today, this co-educational boarding and day school embodies a progressive educational philosophy that allows students to grow academically and creatively in a familial and supportive environment.
- In 1954 The Knox School acquired its present campus in Saint James, Long Island, NY on 39 acres of beautiful vistas on a historical waterfront campus bordering Stony Brook Harbor – Our Home Beside the Shore
Always Toward the Light
Our purpose is to inspire in each student a love of learning by surrounding them with people who care and who are qualified to deliver the highest levels of instruction and social-emotional learning. As a result, our students embrace the desire to continually develop the skills necessary to lead happy, confident, and successful lives in a complex and changing world.
All that we do within our academics, athletics, arts and student life program is guided by the Knox Core Values – Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Courage, Kindness and Scholarship.
As a family, we learn together and grow together. For grades 6-12 and post-graduate, Knox delivers a progressive, rigorous curriculum taught by passionate, caring educators who know how to challenge young minds. Some of our highlights include:
- 6:1 Student/Teacher Ratio
- Average Class Size of 12
- 23 AP and Honors-Track Classes for High-Achievers
- College-Credit Programs in English, Science & the Arts
- Highly-skilled faculty where 78% posses advanced degrees, 59% degrees in education, 19% Ivy League education and 16% have taught at the college level
Knox Graduates are Well-Skilled
Our graduates are prepared to enter the global community with a broad world perspective and a wide range of skills to ensure his or her readiness to enter the next phase of their life journey.
- 100% of our students’ graduate, and all report back to us that they are prepared for the demands of university-level performance
- 100% of our seniors graduate and attend their dream universities, with millions of dollars in scholarships earned each year
- Our college credit, dual enrollment courses allow our students to enter university with up to nine credits towards their degrees
Make Friends from Around the Globe
With good friends and a well-qualified, dedicated staff who are busy building superior experiences, our students make profound connections and build lasting memories. We are a rich and diverse community with students who hail from Spain, Russia, China, Montenegro, Serbia, Vietnam and more, as well as many states and local communities alike. At Knox, we celebrate all cultures and backgrounds so that students can live their best lives.
- Our current population includes 156 students
- 57 are International Students
- Our student body hails from 17 countries including the USA
Premier Equestrian Program
Founded in 1914, the Equestrian Program is Knox’s oldest, continuous sports activity. Our riders learn under Master Horseman James North and grow in our historic horse-shoe shaped equestrian center where students may choose to board their own horse or ride one of the many Knox show horses and ponies.
Having recently undergone an impressive renovation, our state-of-the-art equestrian riding ring was designed and installed by the industry leader who has created some of the finest show rings in the world, including the Longine Global Championship Tours.
Go Higher with Knox Falcons
The Knox School Athletic Department provides opportunities for student-athletes to reach their full potential. Knox Athletics emphasizes sportsmanship, responsibility, cooperation, teamwork and respect for others with the purpose of making sports more enjoyable for everyone. Student-athletes are encouraged to take calculated risks and develop personal goals in sports while embracing the Knox mission and core values.
In addition to many competitive sports, including soccer, volleyball and softball, Knox offers ELITE ATHLETICS and full-year programs in Equestrian, Crew and Basketball.
Go Further with Visual and Performing Arts
Holding true to the history of traditions that make Knox a unique experience, we cultivate an environment that values creative expression and personal growth through the arts. We believe that when a student is involved in artistic expression, he or she learns to try new things, manage risk, and handle failure. Our arts offerings include:
- A Fall Theatrical Production & Spring Musical
- Arts classes in studio, digital, photography, ceramics and multimedia
- The Solarium Gallery at Houghton Hall
- Multiple opportunity to showcase visual and performing arts talents both on an off campus
Interested in learning more about the superior experience offered at The Knox School? Contact our admissions office at email@example.com, or call (310) 686-1600 to schedule a tour, visit us during one of our Open Houses or join us for a Shadow Day, so you can experience what makes Knox a special place.