The Knox School Basketball Program is designed to prepare student-athletes for the next level on the court and in the classroom. These athletes will be challenged by playing the most competitive Prep basketball programs in the country. The students will gain exposure from these challenges and will receive top-flight academics that will help propel them to reach their academic and athletic goals. Knox offers a full-year basketball program that includes a strength and conditioning regimen that will prepare our athletes for college basketball.
The Prep team consists of 10-12 players of the highest caliber who compete in a 30+ game schedule. The academic program for Prep athletes is intentionally designed to include SAT/ACT preparation classes, along with college-level writing courses, a Graduate Seminar, AP courses and private study times to help prepare them for the next phase of their journey to college basketball.
Additionally, Knox offers a Varsity Basketball team that competes in the Private School Athletic Association (PSAA) Conference and the New York State Federation basketball conference.
Walter Townes came to The Knox School with a reputation for developing and recruiting players for college basketball programs. Five years later, his dream has become a reality: Knox has become a full-fledged, prep basketball program.
Townes has coached on all levels ranging from Big East at St. Johns University under legendary Hall of Famer Lou Carnesecca, to esteemed academic institutions such as Dartmouth and Columbia University. Additionally, Townes was Head Coach at both Clarkson University and Drew University and coached as an assistant at Rutgers University and College of the Holy Cross.
Coach Townes has coached and/or recruited numerous players who have gone on to the NBA and to Europe to play professionally, including:
- Malik Sealy, St. Johns University - Minnesota Timberwolves
- Jayson Williams, St. Johns University - New Jersey Nets
- James Blackwell, Dartmouth College - Charlotte Hornets, Boston Celtics, 10 years professionally in Turkey and Israel
- Walter Palmer, Dartmouth College - Utah Jazz, 14 years professionally in Germany
- Dahntay Jones, Rutgers University - Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers
- Crawford Palmer, Dartmouth College - professionally in France
- Craig Austin, Columbia University - Ivy League Player of the Year
- Sea Lonergan Dartmouth College - Ivy League Rookie of the Year
- Rob Feaster, College of the Holy Cross - Patriot League player of the year, 12 years professionally in Germany, Australia and France
I see basketball as a way that my family and I can live a better life. My dream is to reach the next level and become a professional basketball player. Mohamed '17
Prep Team Graduates are currently attending the following colleges and universities:
New York Institute of Technology
SUNY Buffalo State
Concordia University Portland
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
University of St. Joseph's
Roger Williams University